The Emergency Trauma Center (ETC) team at Atrium Medical Center brings years of experience, compassion and knowledge to provide quality patient care. Members of Atrium’s ETC are specially trained to treat all types of emergencies.
Key Members of Your Care Team
- Emergency Medical Services (EMS): EMS providers include paramedics, emergency medical technicians and firefighters and are often the first to respond and treat patients before they reach the hospital.
- Physicians: Medical doctors (MD or DO) have overall responsibility for a patients’ care. Doctors collaborate with the laboratory, medical imaging and other specialists, as necessary.
- Nurse Practitioners: These advanced practitioners assess a patient’s condition. The PA/NP works closely with the doctor and other team members to provide appropriate, timely medical care.
- Nurses: Registered nurses (RNs) assess and monitor patients’ physical condition, give medications, maintain IVs and keep patients and their families informed of any tests and procedures.
- Patient Care Assistants/ED Technicians: Patient care assistants (PCA), or emergency department (ED) technicians, work with nurses and doctors to care for patients. They check vital signs, collect laboratory specimens, transport patients to special testing and assist as needed to make patient stays as comfortable as possible.
- Social Workers: Social workers may assist in referring emergency care patients to outside agencies for follow-up medical care.
- Integrated Case Managers: Registered nurses, social workers or both who help families locate community resources, assist in crisis interventions, provide counseling, educate patients about their diagnosis and respond to the unique needs of families.
Trauma Center Team
Atrium Medical Center’s trauma team is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and responds within a few minutes of a trauma activation. The trauma team includes:
- Emergency medicine physicians
- General surgeon
- Case managers
- Clinical social workers
- Respiratory therapists
- Physical therapists
- Other medical professionals
The trauma center team is supported by other specialty services as needed, including:
- Orthopedic surgery
- Cardiothoracic surgery
- Vascular surgery
For the safety and security of patients and their visitors, Campus Police is located nearby.