SLIP (Senior Lifestyles & Injury Prevention) Program
At Atrium Medical Center, more than half of all patients admitted to the hospital with traumatic injuries are related to elderly falls. Because of this, it is the goal of our trauma outreach team to prevent falls before they happen. Creating awareness, providing education and teaching preventative measures are the first steps in making an impact on a nationwide burden.
Who is at risk for falls?
Fall risk increases with age. Each year, falls occur in about one-third of all people 65 years of age and older, and those who do fall are 2 to 3 times more likely to fall again. In the United States, falls are the leading cause of injury related death in those 65 and older. Other startling statistics and facts include:
- 90% of hip fractures are caused by falls.
- Nationally, elderly falls are responsible for more than half of all hospital trauma admissions
- Falls account for 40% of all nursing home admissions.
- Certain medications may thin your blood, increasing your risk for bleeding in the event of a fall.
- In a study of people age 72 and older, the average health care cost of a fall injury totaled $19,440, which included hospital, nursing home, emergency room and home health care, but not doctors’ services.
- Fall-related injury is one of the 20 most expensive medical conditions.
- Falls are the leading cause of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), causing 61% of all TBI in adults 65 and older.
Free, Informative Presentations
Through our SLIP Program, our outreach team is committed to making a difference and creating awareness in and around our surrounding communities. We have set forth the goal of making you and your loved ones safer and promoting positive and healthy lifestyles.
Our free program includes:
For more information about our SLIP Program or to schedule a presentation at your facility, please contact:
Joey Brumfield, RN
Trauma Outreach Coordinator
Atrium Medical Center, Trauma Services
What do I do next?