Procedures and Services
The Wilbur & Mary Jean Cohen Women’s Center at Atrium Medical Center offers personalized services for women. The following services are located in or are coordinated through our Women’s Center.
- Screening mammograms – detects cancer at its earliest stages, even before a lump can be felt by a woman or a healthcare provider.
Learn how to prepare for your mammogram.
- Diagnostic mammograms – investigates abnormalities that have already been identified through a screening or breast exam.
- Ultrasound – uses sound waves to create an image of the breast to guide the removal of tissue from the area of concern.
- Ultrasound-guided fine needle aspirations – draws out fluid and tissue cells from an abnormality in a breast.
- Ultrasound-guided breast biopsy – uses sound waves to create images of the breast to guide the removal of tissue from the area of concern.
- Stereotactic breast biopsy – draws out a sample of the breast tissue to help determine if cancer cells are present.
- MRI-guided breast biopsy – produces highly detailed images of breast tissue in women that have had diagnosis of breast cancer, dense breast tissue or genetic factors for putting them at risk for cancer.
- Sentinel Node Biopsy – drains the first lymph node to determine if breast cancer has spread to the lymph ducts or lymph nodes.
- Ductograms – helps to diagnose a problem in the milk ducts of the breast.
- Cyst aspirations – draws out fluid in a cyst of a breast that has grown to a size that causes pain and discomfort.
- MammoSite Radiation Therapy – delivers a highly targeted treatment in five days by placing the radiation source directly into the lumpectomy cavity.
- Lumpectomy – removes the breast tumor and some of the normal tissue around it so the affected breast is saved.
- Mastectomy – removes the breast and sometimes the surrounding tissue.
- Reconstructive Surgery – Rebuilds the breast and sometimes the surrounding tissue.
Learn more about breast care
- DEXA bone density screenings – measures bone mineral density to determine if a woman has or is at risk for osteoporosis.
Health Risk Assessment
We recommend that patients who schedule a procedure at Atrium’s Women's Center complete a free health risk assessment. Based on information about your current health status, family medical history, and lifestyle, we can determine your risk for coronary heart disease, cancer, and osteoporosis. A health risk assessment nurse will meet with you privately to review your results, answer questions, and offer recommendations for steps to improve your health, even if you have no obvious health issues at that time.
There is no charge for this service, but an appointment is necessary.
Learn more about health risk assessment
Venous Radiofrequency Ablation Eliminates Varicose Veins
Venous reflux disease, affecting 25 million people, is the underlying cause for most varicose veins. Venous radiofrequency ablation is an outpatient procedure that uses radiofrequency energy to close and eliminate varicose veins, allowing a rapid recovery for the patient.
Learn more about venous radiofrequency ablation.
Treatment for Pelvic Floor Disorders
We offer specialized physical therapy to assist men and women with bladder and bowel control and pelvic pain, and to help women with issues related to pregnancy and menopause. With treatment, patients can experience less pain, fewer symptoms and improved function.
Learn more about treatment for pelvic floor disorders.