Awards and Recognition
A Legacy of Excellence
Atrium Medical Center is built on the 90-year legacy of Middletown Regional Hospital’s leadership in quality medical care and expertise of its physicians and staff. The following awards, recognition, and accreditations demonstrate the success of the hospital’s quality measures.
Get With The Guidelines – Silver Plus Award and Target: Stroke Honor Roll
This award recognizes Atrium Medical Center's commitment and success in implementing a higher standard of stroke care by ensuring that stroke patients receive treatment according to nationally accepted standards and recommendations set by the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association.
Awards and Recognition
Healthgrades is an independent organization created to help consumers understand, compare and evaluate hospital performance. They provide objective, comprehensive information about hospital quality in America's hospitals. Healthgrades evaluates hospitals solely on clinical outcomes—risk-adjusted mortality and in-hospital complications. They recognize the top-performing hospitals in the nation that have achieved quality excellence in particular specialties, clinical excellence, and patient safety. Healthgrades releases a comprehensive review of all hospitals each fall; and announces specialty achievements throughout the year on an annual basis.
- Healthgrades Distinguished Hospital Award - Clinical Excellence™ for 2 Years in a Row (2015-2016)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Failure for 3 Years in a Row (2014-2016)
- One of Healthgrades America's 100 Best Hospitals for Stroke Care™ for 2 Years in a Row (2015-2016)
- Healthgrades Stroke Care Excellence Award™ for 3 Years in a Row (2014-2016)
- Named Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Treatment of Stroke for 3 Years in a Row (2014-2016)
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Treatment of Stroke for 3 Years in a Row (2014-2016)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Stroke for 3 Years in a Row (2014-2016)
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Pulmonary Care Excellence Award™ for 2 Years in a Row (2014-2016)
- Named Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Overall Pulmonary Services in 2015
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Overall Pulmonary Services for 2 Years in a Row (2015-2016)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Pneumonia for 3 Years in a Row (2014-2016)
- Five-Star Recipient for Esophageal/Stomach Surgeries for 2 Years in a Row (2015-2016)
- Five-Star Recipient for Small Intestine Surgeries for 2 Years in a Row (2015-2016)
- Five-Star Recipient for Colorectal Surgeries for 2 Years in a Row (2015-2016)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of GI Bleed for 2 Years in a Row (2015-2016)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Pancreatitis in 2014
- Critical Care
- One of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Critical Care™ for 2 years in a Row (2015-2016)
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Critical Care Excellence Award™ for 3 Years in a Row (2014-2016)
- Named Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Critical Care for 2 Years in a Row (2015-2016)
- Ranked Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Critical Care for 3 Years in a Row (2014-2016)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Sepsis for 3 Years in a Row (2014-2016)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Pulmonary Embolism for 2 Years in a Row (2015-2016)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Respiratory Failure for 11 Years in a Row (2006-2016)
- Patient Safety
- Recipient of the Healthgrades 2015 Patient Safety Excellence Award™
- Named Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Patient Safety in 2015
- Women’s Health
- Recipient of the Healthgrades 2015 Women’s Health Excellence Award™
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Women’s Health in 2015
2015 Caring Like Karen Award Recipient
The Caring Like Karen Fund was established at the Community Foundation of West Chester/Liberty in memory of the ultimate caregiver, Karen Mason, who lost her battle with pancreatic cancer in 2012. Her definition of a good day was when the person in her care was waited upon, cared for and smiling. In Karen's honor, the Caring Like Karen Fund presents an annual awards to caregivers who emulate Karen's love and patience for those in their care. Sheree Young, RNC, HEAL Program Coordinator at Atrium Medical Center was one of six recipients for the 2015 award.
Ohio Diversity Council 2014 Most Powerful and Influential Women
America's workplace has been and continues to be dominated by men, especially in the area of leadership. Women are significantly underrepresented in both the boardrooms and the c-suites. However, there are women who have overcome barriers to climb to the top. The National Diversity Council seeks to recognize and honor these women who have not only achieved personal success but have made it possible for others to more easily follow in their footsteps. Carol Turner, President and CEO of Atrium Medical Center, was recognized as one of these individuals, being named as of one of the Ohio Diversity Council's 2014 Most Powerful and Influential Women.
2014 Ohio Hospital Association Health Care Worker of the Year Finalist
The Albert E. Dyckes Health Care Worker of the Year Award is given each year to one Ohio caregiver who personifies a leader who gives back o the community, routinely goes beyond the call of duty and has overcome odds to succeed. Shobha Patel, BS, CNMT, was recognized as a finalist for the award, which is the highest honor awarded by the Ohio Hospital Association.
The Joint Commission Accreditation
Atrium consistently earns the highest level of accreditation from The Joint Commission, the nation’s oldest health care accrediting body.
Primary Stroke Center Certification
Atrium’s Stroke Program is one of only 18 hospitals in the state to be certified as a Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission, earning the Gold Seal of Approval™ for stroke care.
Rehabilitation Program Honors
Atrium’s rehab program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF), and in 2007 the program received the Top Performer Award from Uniform Data System for Medical Rehabilitation (UDSMR). UDSMR is the nation’s most widely used system for evaluating the outcomes for medical rehabilitation.
Other Awards and Recognition
In addition to the awards and accreditations listed above, departments within the hospital have regularly received accreditation from a number of accrediting bodies and governmental agencies:
- American Association of Blood Banks
- American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- American College of Radiology—MRI, mammography, and ultrasound
- American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer—Accreditation with Commendation, through 2015
- American College of Surgeons, Level III Trauma Center Verification through 2018
- American Diabetes Association
- College of American Pathologists
- Intersocietal Commission of Echocardiography Laboratories - Transthoracic and Transophageal Echocardiography
- Intersocietal Commission of Nuclear Medicine—Myocardial Perfusion Imaging
- Ohio Department of Health
- Ohio Department of Mental Health
- Recertification of Disease Specific Accreditation for Breast Cancer, 2014
Other awards include:
- Leadership Award from VHA, 2006
- President’s Award of Honor for Clinical Excellence, 2006
- Greater Cincinnati Health Council Innovative Solutions Finalist Award, 2006
- Nova Award from the American Hospital Association, 1999
- Top 100 Hospital, 1998 and 1999
- Ernest A. Codman Award from The Joint Commission, first-ever recipient, 1997
- Ohio Hospital Association Workplace Safety Award, 1995 through 2006
- “A” rating for Atrium in Cincinnati Business Courier, 2014
- Atrium was recognized as the “Business of the Year” (large company) by the Northeast Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce at its annual Gems of Excellence Awards Gala, 2014
- Atrium received a Hospital Safety Score of “A” as part of the 2014 public reporting by the Leapfrog Survey, 2014
- Atrium received the 2013 Top Performer on Key Quality Measures by The Joint Commission, 2014
- Atrium received the “75 on 75 Award” from Cincy Magazine, 2014
The DAISY Award
Premier Health is pleased to recognize our nurses with The DAISY Award, a national program that honors the compassionate care and clinical expertise our nurses bring to patients every day. Learn more.
Everyday Heroes Award
Premier Health is pleased to celebrate the dedicated staff that provide outstanding support to nurses. These individuals are our Everyday Heroes. Learn more.
Content Updated: March 30, 2016