Diabetes Wellness Center
The Diabetes Wellness Center at Atrium Medical Center helps individuals with diabetes learn new skills and lifestyle changes to better manage their diabetes.
We offer one-on-one counseling, group sessions, community programs, screenings, a resource library, and a demonstration kitchen for cooking classes.
Diabetes self-management training is available to teens and adults of all ages. We counsel those with polycystic ovarian syndrome, pre-diabetes, Type 1, Type 2, and gestational diabetes. We can also help with insulin pump preparation. We encourage support persons to attend as well.
- Our diabetes nurse educator and dietitian, both certified diabetes educators, work with the patient and physician to design a personalized, self-management training program.
- This program typically consists of one initial and one follow-up appointment in six weeks, with more follow-up if needed.
- The American Diabetes Association recognizes this education as meeting the National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education.
Group education with limited individualized component:
- Group education consists of three sessions for a total of seven hours.
- Patients also meet one-on-one with the diabetes nurse educator and a dietitian for one hour.
Intensive insulin adjustment group education:
- This 90-minute advanced group session covers how to count carbohydrates and determine insulin doses to maintain target blood glucose levels. Patients must use a rapid-acting insulin to attend.
- Healthy eating habits
- Stress and adjustment to the disease
- Medication management includes instruction on insulin administration and other injectable diabetes medications
- Exercise and activity
- Foot, skin, and dental care
- How to monitor blood sugar levels effectively
- Ways to modify behavior, set goals, and reduce risks
- Self care for diabetes during pregnancy
- How to use health care and community resources
AK Steel Foundation Community Diabetes Resource Library within the Center offers:
- Internet access to diabetes websites
- Diabetes resource books and informational videos for preview. These materials are available at the Middletown Public Library for check-out.
Learn more about the Diabetes Wellness Center.
<< Back to Hospital Services and Facilities.