Patients with pulmonary problems, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, can experience improved quality of life and return to higher levels of functioning through our outpatient therapy program.
The Atrium Medical Center team believes a holistic approach is most beneficial. Family physicians, medical directors, nurses, exercise physiologists, and respiratory therapists work together with patients and their families. In fact, family participation is encouraged in planning sessions.
The program follows a goal-oriented educational and therapeutic approach customized to meet individual needs. A nurse, respiratory therapist, and exercise physiologists are available at all times to help patients and their families, and to answer questions that may arise during the program.
The program combines exercise, education, and breathing and relaxation techniques.
Specific program areas include:
- Chest infection awareness and control
- Graded physical reconditioning program to increase exercise capacity
- Medication actions and side effects
- Patient and family adaptation, communication and coping skills
- Physical energy conservation techniques
- Proper inhaler usage
- Proper nutrition
- Proper oxygen usage
- Relaxation techniques to decrease stress and facilitate correct breathing
- Respiratory system structure and function as applied to the patient
- Respiratory therapy equipment operation and maintenance
- Techniques to control and relieve shortness of breath
Preparing for Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Premier Health Library
The Premier Health Library offers a wealth of information about pulmonary rehabilitation. Learn about conditions, treatments, how to prepare for surgery, and much more.
Content Updated: December 3, 2014